I absolutely LOVED doing this project. Not only do I adore the subject matter but after having had this little face on my fridge for a couple days before I sent it to off to her Ouma Plaas and Ouma Bos as Christmas gifts, I know how much happiness a gift like this brings.
This projects lends itself especially well to Instagram images. Instagram is an image sharing service which allows you to edit and share your images straight off your phone. It is a lot of fun and I love using it. Follow me when you join 🙂
But on to how to create your own fridge magnets. You will need the following:
- Your selected images
- Image editing software – GIMP is a great open source project, which means it is free
- Some smallish tiles, keep an eye on the tile shop specials. I picked up mine, 32 of them, for R40.
- Decoupage glue
- Kraftex Pratliglo
- Metal ruler
- Craft knife
First thing to do is get your images the right size for your tiles. My tiles were 4.5 cm by 4.5 cm, so my images had to be 200px by 200px. This means they were slightly bigger than the tiles, but once they are properly pasted onto the tiles you can cut them to size. I will pop the process behind the image editing into a separate post, but it boils down to getting the focus of your image down to the proper square size, which involves some cropping and scaling.
Once all your images are the right size you can pop it onto one page and have them printed. I use WetINK in the Greenlyn Village Centre for all my printing. I can really recommend them, they know their shit inside out. If you are having issues with the image editing, they can definitely help you out with that too.
Use a cutting board, a super sharp craft knife and a metal ruler for the best results. The metal ruler will slip less than a plastic one. I printed a few copies of each image for in case I have a slip, and yes I did have a couple. Be careful with this bit, you don’t want to lose a finger tip. 🙂
I used Heritage Découpage Glue to paste the images onto the tiles. I let it dry over night. Once it was properly dry I used scissors to cut off the bits of overhang.
Using masking tape to create ‘walls’ to keep the glazing in, is not ideal. The glazing tends to heap up in the corners and on the edges no matter how much I swirled and tipped the tile to make it even… /0\ I have not come up with a better solution though, so let me know if you can think of something better to use.
The Pratliglo was relatively easy to use but as I mention in the gallery above, mix up small batches and work fast. Once it starts drying it becomes too sticky to spread evenly. You will also want to keep an eye out for bubbles in your glaze. Just gently blow on the glaze to get rid of the smaller ones and use a pin to pop the bigger stubborn bubbles.
And this is the final product.