Feel like a dessert after dinner but haven’t got anything prepared? OR maybe you’ve got guests coming over for dinner & don’t have much time to whip up a fancy dessert but want to serve something delicious?
Well I have just the perfect, quick & easy, tasty dessert …… I call them the Sandton Baked Apples.
Most of the ingredients that you will need should already be in your home, which makes this dessert even better.
Corning ware / Pyrex dish with a lid (must be a microwaveable dish)
5 Granny Smith Apples (must be granny smith apples)
5 teaspoons of Brown Sugar
5 blocks of Butter (about a teaspoon amount)
Orange Juice (any type of orange juice will do, even Oros)
Ice cream & Custard (to serve)
- Remove the cores from the Granny Smith Apples.
- Place the apples in your Microwaveable dish.
- Push the blocks of butter into the core of the apples.
- Spoon a teaspoon of brown sugar into the core of each apple, on top of the butter.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top of each apple.
- Pour orange juice into the bottom of the dish, about 1 – 2 cm deep, depending on how much sauce you would like.
- Cover the dish with the lid & place in the microwave for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on your microwave.
8. Apples should be soft on the inside & the skins too.
9. Dish your baked apples into a nice dessert bowl, spoon some of the cinnamon sauce over & serve with either ice cream or custard, or go wild and use both.
Tip: Try a baked apple in the morning for breakfast mixed in with your oats. My fellow Sandton Girl tried this and loved it.